This dish was inspired by Fritz’s recipe for Dutch Oven Cornbread Chili Pie. When I saw his post, I knew I had to give it a try myself. Especially because I had some left over chili in the freezer. I also enjoy cooking outdoors in the Dutch Oven. I took his hint though and used my own blue cornbread recipe.
I was not disappointed. This dish smelled like some kind of wonderful while it was cooking. It tasted as great as it smelled. I will be adding this to my list of favorite Camp Dutch Oven recipes…along with black raspberry cobbler. This recipe highlights the versatility of the camp dutch oven; it can cook moist dishes as well as bake.
The cornbread in this recipe exceeded my expectations. It was better than any cornbread I have made in the kitchen recently. I think there were two main reasons for this. First the flour was sifted before being mixed in. Second was the moist baking environment of the Dutch Oven.
Look closely at the first picture folks. That cornbread is brown on top. This is why a Camp Dutch Oven is sometimes referred to as “Old Black Magic.” What other pot out there can cook a stew and bake bread…at the same time?
When I made this I only had two quarts of chili in the freezer. This caused the ratio of cornbread to chili to be off. There was too much cornbread. In the recipe below, I have called for three quarts of chili. The chili can be made ahead of time to speed the total prep time of this dish.
- 3 Quarts Of Chili
- 1 can of corn
- Cornbread Batter
- 1 cup organic blue cornmeal
- 1 cup organic whole wheat flour, sifted
- ½ cup organic sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp Himalyan pink salt
- 3 farm fresh eggs
- 2 tbsp grass fed butter, softened
- 1 cup plain organic whole milk yogurt
- Heat chili in 12 inch Camp Dutch Oven
- Prepare the cornbread batter as follows:
- Combine dry ingredients
- Add eggs, butter and yogurt
- Stir until mixed
- Add 19 coals on top of Dutch Oven and 8 coals on the bottom.
- Drain juice from corn and spoon on top of chili
- Spoon cornbread batter on top of chili
- Cook for 30 minutes rotating lid of DO ¼ turn clock wise and DO ¼ turn counter clock wise every ten minutes
- Original Chili Cornbread Pie Recipe From The Homestead Fritz
- Top Three Reasons To Make Your Own Cranberry Sauce
- Painted Pony Bean Soup Recipe
- Homesteading Links For April 27, 2012
- Sun Tea Recipe
If you have any questions about this recipe, let me know in the comments below.